From: email @ redacted
Date: 01/24/05 09:00:44
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPp] Out of control flu

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure this out.  Dan spent the  weekend
in the hospital because of stomach flu.  He has gotten the stomach  flu
three
times since his diabetes diagnosis, and all three times he's ended up  in
the
ER and was admitted twice.  Once he starts vomiting, he cannot stop,  throws
  up every 15 - 30 minutes and cannot keep anything down. His numbers are
always
okay and the ketones don't start until he starts getting  dehydrated.  Every
time it has taken zofran in an IV to get him to  stop.  We have tried cola
syrup at home when he first starts vomiting, but  it doesn't help.

He never did this with the stomach flu before the diabetes diagnosis.   None
of the endos seem to have any ideas on it.  I've asked what we need to  do
prevent the trips to the hospital and they say they are probably not
  preventable. Needless to say, this has me worried sick for when he goes
away to
college in four and a half years.

They did a bunch of blood work and said he has Gilbert Syndrome, which is a
supposedly benign genetic liver condition where, when the body is stressed,
the  liver fails to eliminate bilirubin the way it should.  I'm wondering if
  that has something to do with it (Doc says no). They also ran a bunch of
other
blood tests, thyroid (which he has the antibodies for and they were
watching
anyway, but his last test in the fall was actually verging on high),  celiac
(he doesn't have any of the other symptoms this list was discssing not  long
ago) and some others my husband didn't get (I was home sick with the flu
too
so he took Dan in).

Any guesses or advice would be appreciated.  This puts Dan through a  lot
  every time (Try finding a vein on a skinny dehydrated 13 year old) and I'd
love
to be able to put an end to it if I could figure out how.  These kids  go
through enough.  Thanks.

Mary
(mom of  Chris, 21, Carrie, 17, guardian of Mike, 17, and mom of Dan, 13, dx
4-01,  pumping Cozmo since 5-03)