Re: [IPp] Out of control flu (or, rather, stomach virus)

In a message dated 1/24/2005 11:38:05 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

First  off if you are referring to the "Flu" how come your son didn't get a
"Flu"  shot?
It's my habit to call it the stomach flu.  It is not a true flu, which  as
you point out, is respiratory. He did have a flu shot.  I should have  said,
"stomach virus."

If its a  stomach virus, that's different. Basically you have to cut
back on insulin.  Usually stomach virus makes diabetics go very low, because
of
the No Food  to Insulin ratio not being there. Therefore, you have to try
anything  with carbs and sugar to keep him from falling to low.
Can't keep anything down therefore no carbs or sugar.  Checked bg  hourly and
his blood glucose did not fall below 76. He did develop some ketones,
though, from the dehydration.

If he is  on pump
he should suspend and constantly take blood  sugars.
I don't think I would suspend. It is my understanding that  diabetics still
need some insulin even if they are not eating.

The first and last time I took him to the local ER instead of our usual
 Children's Memorial Hosp ER, the doc there wouldn't let him have his shot (this
was before the pump) because "if you're not eating you shouldn't take
 insulin." I called our endo, got an ambulance to Children's, he got back on his
insulin and our endo called and reamed out the local ER  doc.

If he's  manually doing
shots, stick with small amounts of humalog and/or Lantus,  this way you have a
little more control over.Gatorade, syrup from canned fruit, warm soda, etc.
whatever works  but don't force.
Like I said, nothing stays down.  Not an ice chip, not a lollipop,not  a
popsicle, not a sip of water.

Body  seems to know when it wants or needs
something. Dehydration is hard to  prevent. I hope this helps a little. We've
been lucky, no flu or stomach  virus in my daughter's history since she
started
flu shots, over 10 yrs.  ago. Good luck I hope he has better luck in  future,
remember its not too late to get a flu shot. You can still catch  flu well
into
April.
It is my understanding that flu shots, which he has indeed had, only  protect
against respiratory influenza, not stomach viruses. But thanks for the
input.

Mary

(mom of  Chris, 21, Carrie, 17, guardian of Mike, 17, and mom of Dan, 13, dx
4-01,  pumping Cozmo since 5-03)