[IPp] AST

I am entering this conversation very late.  But I have a question
about alternative site testing (AST).  We have used it a bit, but
don't do it currently.  I try to get Andrea to avoid her pointer
finger or thumb, but she prefers the thumb because of ease for her.
(She tests herself most of the waking hours.)  Because of being dx'd
at a young age, I really do worry about her little fingers.

Here's my question - do your kids have bruising with AST?  Andrea was
getting lots of little TINY bruises on her arms where we tested there.
 Got a little scary looking after a while.  What lancing device do you
use?  We use the Freestyle Flash but hate their lancing devices.  We
still use the One Touch Ultra lancing device, which we really like.
We also have a vaculance that we used on Andrea's arm.  It makes it
easier to get a sample, but could that be what is leading to the
bruising?

Also, a note on meters, we tried AST with One Touch Ultra and had a
really hard time getting enough blood.  AST wasn't even a viable
option for us until we switched to the Flash.  Also, the Flash is
worth its weight in gold, as far as I am concerned, just for the
little light that shines on the test strip.  I used to have a
flashlight dangling from my teeth for nighttime testing.  The Flash
cured that!

--
Mama to *Andrea 5.5, Alicia 3.5, Carlos 1.5,
and anxiously awaiting child #4 end of March 2005