RE: [IPp] sore fingers

Hi Octavia,

Catherine is so right, it is hard to get enough blood from alternate sites,
though some seem to manage it quite well.  You really will need a meter which
takes a tiny amount of blood.

I want to also recommend the Ascensia Contour meter, if you are able to get
some other strips covered under your insurance.  In theory, the Contour uses a
larger blood sample than Therasense's Freestyle and Flash meters (0.6 vs.
0.3).  But in practice I found it much easier to use.  Once we started using
it, I gave away the rest of my Therasense bg strips.  The Contour meter's
strips suck up the tiny blood sample very effectively, from the END (rather
than the cumbersome side) of the strip.  Bayer/Ascensia has seemed to be the
only glucometer maker able to employ this "sipping up" technology.

My Claire was two when diagnosed and I remember well how hard it was to get
blood.  By the time she was 3, she was adamant that she would only use her
pinkie fingers for a bg test.  Now, almost 8 years later this is still the
case.  She will not test on her arms, but sometimes when she is sleeping I
will try to test her that way, using the Bayer Vaculance to get the blood
sample big enough.

Best wishes,
Barbara, Mum of Claire 10