[IPp] Goldfish + Insulin = Not Pretty

 Yesterday in A&P II (anatomy & physiology) we watched a video on the effects of
different endocrine systems on animals. One was with a goldfish placed in bowl
"A" that had a mix of 100ml of water and 400 "international units" of insulin
(they said it can absorb the insulin through it's gills which I found fishy -
pun not intended). Within 5 minutes the fish was twitching. Within 10 minutes
the fish was swimming on it's side, trying to right itself. Within 20 minutes it
was out cold (in a coma). They then placed it in bowl B which had water (they
didn't specify how much) & 10% glucose solution. Within 5 minutes he was
twitching. After 15 minutes, he was up swimming around like normal. It was
creepy.

 I have seen this with Cole quite often. He usually falls asleep when low. I
just grab a juice box & give it to him. Then I check his BG. By then he wakes up
& looks at me all crazy. He almost always asks if he fell asleep. I say yes &
lecture him that when he feels low, dizzy, etc.. he needs to check his BG or
tell me to. ::(

 I wish the brain wasn't such a glucose hog but it is. It's amazing how delicate
the body is.

Thanks for listening,

 Rachel - Future (hopeful) RN/CDE, Single mom to Cole, 6.5, pumping at 4, dx'd
at 23 months old

www.picturetrail.com/jracheln