Re: [IPp] Insertion Anxiety

Dan uses Silhouettes and also had some insertion anxiety at first,  none now.

I think the advice you've gotten is good.  Things that helped  us:  we use
 upper butt sites, therefore the child is not watching the inserter. However, I
do think it helps the child relax if he knows he's  not going to be surprised
by the insertion, therefore let the child count down  to it, or at least do a
count yourself (1, 2, 3, now etc). We found having him  lie on the bed and
watch tv helped too.  If the muscles are all tensed  up, it will hurt more.

Also, it might not be a bad idea to have your cde watch you  insert to make
sure you are getting a good angle. The only insertions that  tend to hurt Dan
are the ones that are going in either too deep or too  shallow.  If your
 numbers are okay you are probably doing it right, but it might not hurt to
check.

We have never numbed the site but some people use an ice cube  instead of
numbing cream.

Maybe try the Tenders instead as well, as some people have  suggested.

Hang in there and good luck--you will find something that works for  you.

Mary (mom of  Chris, 21, Carrie, 17, guardian of Mike, 17, and mom of Dan,
13, dx 4-01,  pumping Cozmo since 5-03)