Re: [IPp] Re: pop-digest V1 #846

In a message dated 1/18/2005 11:56:19 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> We use  the Silhouette insertion set and the needle is quite long and  very
> visible.  We have toyed with the idea of switching insertion  sets, but he
> is
> very active and I fear the others will result in more  changes due to
> inadvertenant removals.  We have been very, very lucky  so far in that we
> have
> only had to conduct an unscheduled site change one  time in the first 5
> months

We tried the Silhouette but it scared Blake so bad that he called it the
 torture needle. We immediately switched to the Minimed Quick Set 6 mm and have
had no problems with sites coming out.  Blake uses his abdomen.  About once or
 twice in the last year he has had a site that he said hurt and we had to remove
and place a new one.  Usually when we have gotten down to low on his lateral
abdomen and to close to hip.  Blake is 5 and weighs about 45 pounds.  He is
very active, swims, plays on soccer team, jumps on trampoline, etc without any
 difficulty. We do use Emla cream as Blake also is afraid of the "bigger needle
going into his tummy."  He never wanted injections into his abdomen and now
that is the only place he wants his pump sites.  I would imagine that the
 Silhouette is very frightening for a child - it scared me and I am 50 haha -
Call
your pump trainer and I bet he/she can bring you different sets to try until
 you find one that works for ya'll - Good luck and let us know how it works out
-
Debbie - Aunt to Blake age 5 pumping with Paradigm and Anna Beth age 25
 pumping with Paradigm - PS Anna Beth uses the 6 mm Quick Sets also - She is 25
and
about 120 lbs.