[IPp] site infections

I'm almost afraid to post this because maybe it'll jinx us, but in 4 years
and 10 months of pumping, Annie has never had one single site
infection.  She's a competitive swimmer who spends much time in pools and
lakes--and when time allowed, she used to love hours-long baths in the
company of an assortment of plastic creatures and dolls. The bath water
would get cold and gray before she was ready to get out!  She and I can
recall 3 times in all these years that a set pulled off, and only once was
it water-related.  And her sites have consistently healed without problems.
It may be luck that's kept her free of infection, but maybe it's our
routine:  When we remove a set, we soak it with a Unisolve pad for a couple
of minutes, slip it off in the opposite direction from how it went in, and
scrub away the remaining gorilla snot and adhesive with the same pad (the
Unisolve pad is slightly rough and she says it feels good to safely
"scratch" the area with it once the set is gone).
Then we wipe the area with a clean alcohol pad, and rub in a little triple
antibiotic ointment.  We've also been known to forget and leave an old site
attached for several more days before we REMEMBER to remove it--a real
problem if she does disconnect for any reason and then can't recall which
site we were still using!  For several years we often used a good site for
a week, but we try now to change them every 3-5 days, just so their
effectiveness doesn't begin to diminish and her numbers don't creep up as a
result.
BTW, tummy sites just never worked well for Annie, too much bending and
movement caused bent cannulas or discomfort.  She uses her upper rear end
and hips exclusively, a much more stable environment apparently.
Hope this is helpful!
Charlotte
PS
Unisolve is also great for cleaning off bandaid stickum, street tar,
chewing gum, permanent ink, paint, and many other things.  I don't know how
it is so effective and yet so gentle to a child's tender skin!
PPS
We are only on our 2nd two-ounce bottle of Tincture of Benzoin in 4+
years.  We use a Q-tip to apply and a little dab'll do it!  Let it get
slightly dry and tacky before putting down the set, then use an alcohol
wipe to clean away the excess around the edges so the site is pretty!