[IPp] site infections

Octavia,

We have been pumping for 2 1/2 years now.  We had one site infection
very early on and I thought long and hard about the possible causes.
The 2 major changes that I made are these:

1. Rachel no longer takes baths routinely - we switched to showers.  She
had just had her 4th birthday when we started pumping and it was
summertime.  When she sat in the bathtub, she was essentially sitting in
filthy water and her site has always been on her bottom.  It was obvious
to me that she was steeping in bacteria during her bath.  So now she
only takes a bath occasionally (a special treat).

2. I talked with the pharmacist about my technique - worried that it
just wasn't sterile enough.  He recommended that I buy Hibiclens, which
is a kind of soap that surgeons use when they scrub.  I wash my hands
with it and I put a small amount on a clean washcloth and wipe the new
site with it.  The bottle was expensive - I think it was $25 or so, but
I haven't even used half of it in 2 1/2 years.  Also, it stains
horribly, so I purchased some washcloths that I use only for that
purpose and I launder them in bleach.

Since I made those changes, we've never had another infected site.

I hope this is helpful.

Good Luck,

Diane Elmer
Mom to Rachel - dx 8/99 at age 13 months, pumping Animas since 7/02

Hello - My daughter, Ailsa (18 months old) seems to be
getting recurrent infections at the infusion sites.
She may have a new infection, making the total 3 in 3
months.  The first 2 required 10 days of antibiotics
to clear.

We have been on the Animas 1200 since 9/30/04.  We
started off with the Comfort kit, got the first
infection, switched to the Tender-Mini, which we still
use.  As far as I can tell, the trigger for her
infections seems to be friction - specifically,
elastic from her diapers rubbing on the site.  We
always use a tegaderm (occlusive dressing) to cover
the site and do not take it off except to change the
site.  We have 3 different types of diapers to try to
tailor the cut of the elastic to the site location,
but this time a 30 minute session in the pool for swim
class and subsequent rubbing from the swimsuit leg
elastic may be the culprit.

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas for dealing with
pumps in kids with diapers?  The pump has been
otherwise amazing and her hypoglycemic episodes are so
infrequent now that we're off shots.  I really don't
want to give up the pump, but the infections are so
frequent, I'm scared of the outcome of all  of this.

Thanks - Octavia, mom of Ailsa, dx'd at 11 months
6/04, pumping since 9/04

Do you Yahoo!?