From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of Christie
Grassmuck
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 2:44 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IPp] RE: [IPp CELIAC TESTING

Can someone tell me the symptoms of Celiac and what made you have your
child tested? My 5yr old who was diagnosed in June of 03 with Type 1
diabetes has been having alot of unexplained stomach aches and I'm
curious to see if it could be Celiac.

Christie

>From: "Barbara Young" <email @ redacted> >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To:
<email @ redacted> >Subject: [IPp] RE: [IPp CELIAC
TESTING >Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:27:08 -0800 > >Insulin Pumpers is made
possible by your tax deductible contributions. >Your donation of $10,
$25, or more... just $1 or $2 per month is >needed so that Insulin
Pumpers can continue to serve you and the rest >of the diabetes
community. Please visit: > >
will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >It is important for any
parent worrying about Celiac disease in their children >to realize that
the blood tests to screen for it are not 100 percent accurate. >They will
miss a considerable number of celiac kids.  My daughter was one of >them
the first time she was tested; her celiac wasn't picked up until over
>four years after her symptoms were very obvious, with the result that
lots of >damage was done to her body. > >Here is just one of many
peer-reviewed academic articles talking about this: >
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A
bs
>tract&list_uids=11346205 > >Also, if the blood work is positive (EMA
test or tTg) it is pretty much >guaranteed that a child has celiac, even
if the biopsy initially comes back >negative.  The damage to the
intestine is patchy, and if insufficient biopsy >samples are taken, they
might miss a damaged area.  Also, sometimes the sample >needs to be
re-examined.  I know of one parent whose child's biopsy was >initially
labelled as okay--the doctor asked for the sample to be re-examined >and
the result was then changed to a positive diagnosis. > >Barbara, Mum of
Claire 10 >dx'ed dm age 2, celiac (finally) age 9