From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Jan
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 8:53 PM
To: parents; email @ redacted;
email @ redacted; email @ redacted
Subject: [IPp] Cracks in Tubing/Quicksets

Hello all and Happy New Year!

I am having a problem and am hoping somebody here has a suggestion.
Maddie has only used the MiniMed Quicksets with her Deltec Cozmo pump
since her pump start in May.  I chose them because of the inserter - I'm
too chicken to try it manually and I know that Maddie will have a cow at
the thought of me doing that.  We have always had bubbles in the tube,
but I assumed it was because of operator error (I'm the operator).
However, the last couple of boxes of Quicksets have developed large
areas of air - even after priming it a couple times in the same day.  I
finally discovered that the cloudiness in the tubing right at the Leur
lock was actually small cracks and eventually they have even cracked to
the point of being able to feel the crack with my nail.  We are already
changing sites every other day - I sure don't want to do it more than
that just due to the tubing.  I think the problem is that Maddie likes
to wear her pump close to her and pretty tight against her in a
horizontal pouch.  I think the tubing is getting bent there, causing the
cracks.

I called MiniMed and they agreed to replace 10 of the sets for me, but
really hesitated and said that they have no record of this being a
problem and blamed it on the Cozmo pump.  I told them that I would do a
survey of sorts here, because I was pretty sure that air in the tubing
was a common problem with the Quicksets and perhaps people just aren't
complaining to them about it.

So...is anyone else having a problem with air in your Quickset tubing?
If so, what kind of pump do you use?  Anybody noticed cracks or
cloudiness in the tubing?  Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Are all infusion sets made the same way as far as the tubing and leur
lock being so exposed to getting bent?

Thanks so much!  I'm sending in my reservation to the Friends for Life
Conference tomrrow.  Looking forward to meeting many of you in person!

--
Jan, Mom to Maddie, age 7, dx'd T1D 4/16/03, pumping Cozmo 5/7/04 and
doing fabulous!