[IPp] Insulin Antibodies

In a message dated 1/17/2003 12:58:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> any one could help me out about anti-insulin antibodies, please let me
> know.
> Thanks
> Deborah mom to Eve 15.5, and her pump
Hi Deborah,
       I first read about insulin antibodies in the great book,
Insulin-dependent diabetes in Children, Adolescents and adults,  by R.Hanas.
It does not have a lot of information, however, on this subject.
       At the time Claire was 4 and 5, we were living in the UK and her
injections just were not working properly.  NPH just didn't seem to work on
her.  Although I kept increasing the morning dose of NPH, from 3 units when
she was 3 years old to 6, to 9, to 12, all the way up to 17 units of NPH, it
didn't make any difference whatsoever.  However, one or two units of Regular
insulin would drop her bg drastically and quickly.  The doctors were of no
help whatsoever and just said to keep raising it.  Though her afternoon bg
would be 400, her overnight numbers just kept falling to very low, worrisome
numbers.  The NPH would be working hardest 24 hours after injection.
       Hanas described insulin antibodies as binding insulin when there is a
lot of insulin available (right after an injection), and then releasing this
insulin when there was little insulin available.  "In this way, the insulin
concentration in your blood will be levelled off in an unfortunate manner.
When you want a high level of insulin after a meal it will be lowered
(resulting in high bg) and when you want a low level in the blood during the
night your will instead have too much insulin, resulting in hypos.  One can
say that with high levels of insulin antibodies you will produce long-acting
insulin on your own."
       After reading this I thought that antibodies could be the cause of
Claire's problems.  And knowing that only fast acting insulin worked well for
her led me to research the options and I discovered insulin pumps.
       When we saw an Endo back in Canada I asked her to perform the blood
test to check Claire's level of insulin antibodies.  She refused and then
also refused to allow Claire to start on an insulin pump "until she had
better control".  I still think about what I'd like to say to that doctor!!!
Fortunately we found another Endo, again a young woman, but this one was
pro-pump.  We did have to move across the country shortly after Claire
started pumping, thus leaving the one useful doctor I've dealt with.
       Another thing I have read about insulin antibodies are that they are
correlated with lipohypertrophy.  Sorry, I don't have the source for that
readily available, it was a research paper in a leading journal.  It caught
my eye because when on injections Claire had severe lipohypertrophy as well,
some nurses and CDEs gasped when they saw her, said they had never seen
anything like it.  I broke my heart seeing my little girl like that.
Fortunately, with pumping all these spots have disappeared.  Though I still
worry so much about her infusion spots.
       Anyhow, any of this sound like Eve?  I hope it has been of some help.
Perhaps your doctor will be willing to share his knowledge about what it
means.  Please pass it back to me, if he does, as I haven't had any luck with
       And congratulations to Eve for having a great month!

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8