[IPp] Re: Remember to Bolus

In a message dated 1/10/2003 10:11:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>  Have you ever wished you never pressed the "send" button after writing a
> post?
>   Julie, don't do this.
>   You're right Ellen. I guess I went a little to far. Your way of doing
> things sound better and I have tried that first.

Hi Dianne,
       I sure hope that you aren't feeling bad about your post.  It was a
very thoughtful post about what has worked for you and your child.  All
children are different and also changing all the time, so what works now
might not work 6 months from now, but that is why parenting is so
challenging.  None of this day in day out same all the time stuff!
       Most all parents tell little white lies to their kids.  Even though
Claire is 8, she fully believes in Santa Claus, the tooth fairy and the
Easter bunny.  She asked me awhile ago about the truth of some aspects of
these, encouraged by her 11 year old brother.  Yes, I continued with the
little lies, because I thought this was "best" for her at this time.  If she
later confronts me with why did I not tell the truth, we will have a
conversation about why I did what I did.
       And so, if later on your son makes an issue about you misleading him
about bolusing and losing his pump, I'm sure he will understand when you tell
him that you were doing it to have the best results for him.  Kids know when
they are loved.
       I'm fortunate in that all 3 of my kids remember things pretty well and
never lose items.  But I have friends whose kids have struggled with this for
years and I know how frustrated they have become.  So you have to do what
works for your child.
       Now I need to work on Claire actually following my instructions.  She
is supposed to phone me from school if her pump alarms.  I left her at 11:30
after her lunch bolus.  Her pump started alarming 15 minutes later and
continued off and on all afternoon.  She didn't phone me (I always carry my
mobile phone), so by 3 pm after school she was over 600.  She hadn't received
most of the lunch bolus (don't know why the alarm didn't go off at that
point??) and no snack bolus or basal.  Just waiting for her bg to come down

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8