Re: [IPp] Remember to bolus

Dianne, that was very honest of you to point out your parenting style to
achieve the bolusing.

I have a completely different philosophy.  My son was diagnosed at 15 months
old  and started pumping in 2nd grade.  I complimented him and praised him
for all the times he remembered and did things correctly and made a good
effort.  He had a Timex Data Link watch when he went on the pump to provide
him with some reminders.  I've also bought him gifts on the spur of the
moment just to let him know how great I think he is with handling all he's
expected to manage.  He's now 15 and I continue to do so and he is still
doing a terrific job with his pump and his diabetes..  This has worked the
best in our house.  Lots of honesty and heaps of positive reinforcement,
admiration and applause.  We also find plenty to laugh about with the
diabetes, because diabetes is a PIA, and a sense of humor gets us over some
rough days.

Sometimes my son forgets to bolus (as do adults with pumps), and we backtrack
to  troubleshoot and figure out why his bg was high.  Sometimes it had
nothing to do with forgetting to bolus.  With diabetes, #@$% happens!  When I
attended the Children With Diabetes conference in Orlando one summer,
Psychologist Dr. Rubin said the following, which has stuck with me and made a
measurable difference in my relationship with my son:  "When your child tells
you that his/her blood glucose level is high, there is one, and only one,
response that's appropriate.  THANK YOU FOR CHECKING!"  After that it's all
about calmly doing what you can to get the blood glucose level back down to
target.

My son has been active in the decision making process  for many many years
when it comes to his diabetes, even for the littlest things like which foods
to eat, lancets to use, which finger to use when testing (before arm
testing), change of meters, pumps etc.  IThese things help add to  feeling in
control of diabetes, when  there's so much that's not under his control.

I need for my son to know that what I tell him, he can trust to be true to
the best of my knowledge.  That's what works for us.

Very sincerely yours,
Ellen H. Ullman
Mom, Advocate for children who have diabetes and their parents, Friend,
Webmaster...<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/CamelsRFun/index.html">http://members.aol.com/camelsrfun</A>
Please support funding a cure for diabetes: Diabetes Research Institute in
Miami, Florida:  <A HREF="http://www.drinet.org">http://www.drinet.org</A>

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting
to improve the world? -Anne Frank, Holocaust diarist (1929-1945)