[IPp] re: Sil Serter

<<<<Dianne Shekell <email @ redacted>
Does anyone use a sil serter? How do you like the way it works.  Is it
hard to use? I'd like to have my son try them, but only after I get feed
back from others who use them and the inserting device.>>>>>>

Hello, my son Luke, now 8, has been using the Sils with Sil-serter since
sometime in the spring of 2002.  [Weird that I've forgotten that switch.]
Luke's been pumping since Mar. 2001, and was using QuickSets for quite a while
with great success, but finally last year they kind of gave out on us, first on
Luke's belly and then finally on the hip/buttock areas.  He's so lean and
muscular that we found that the Silhouettes provide a more reliable site set
up, for Luke.  I tried them 2 times with manual insertion - that was awful for
all of us.  Then we got the inserter, and after getting Luke past his fear of
the size of the thing and the length of the needle, he did great.  He pushes
the button all the time now so he can control the click, and most of the time
he says it hardly hurts.  I know that it hardly hurts him because I've changed
sites a few times in the middle of the night, and he barely moved when I did
it.  Whereas doing that with QuickSets or giving a shot during the night - he
had to be fully awake.  [Luke does sleep through all finger-poking during the
night, so he does sleep pretty hard.]

When we first switched to Sils we thought that we'd go back to QuickSets when
Luke built up enough fat again.  But he hasn't gotten any fatter, and we've
gotten used to being able to rely on the site working the first time, so we're
all pretty much hooked on the Sils but only with the inserter.  I also like
that doing the site vs. the tubing separate is so easy, because now we just
fill up his reservoir completely, which lasts about 8-10 days, and then change
his site every 3-4 days.  It's taken site changes down to a couple of minutes
at a time.

We don't use EMLA mainly because when we first started pumping we had so many
sites go bad that we didn't want to be dependent on waiting an hour for any
numbing cream to work.  Now Luke's so used to it that it wasn't a problem.  It
did take quite a bit of very patient talking to get him through the first few
Sil site changes (plus we "bribed" him by giving him extra one-on-one time to
read or play games when site changes went quickly).

Hope that helps.
Shelly V., mom to Luke, 8, dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01, uses: MM508/Novolog/Sils

Do you Yahoo!?