[IPp] Re: Celiac

In a message dated 12/31/2002 5:33:30 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Just my opinion, but I don't think it's necessary to have her screened
> annually, perhaps every 3-5 years, especially if there is no family history
> of Celiac.  20% really isn't very many.  Have you done the scratch tests to
> see what she might be allergic to?   Could the rash on her legs be
> chiggers?  When we lived in Tennessee my son got them on his legs.
> Carol

Thanks Carol,
       Yes, think I will keep it in mind to check every 3-5 years.
       I haven't had Claire tested for her allergies.  Her oldest brother had
allergies since he was 3 weeks old and we finally saw a paediatric allergist
when he was 12.  Wasn't a lot of help, as my son was positive to so many
things.  We moved across the country before he could have a peanut challenge
test (where they actually feed you the peanuts in a hospital setting, to see
what happens).  So we went to an allergist in our new town and the guy was
really, really useless.  So I don't know if I should bother having Claire see
him.  Claire's allergies don't bother her much, they have been, so far, of
the mild skin eczema type.  Also started when she was a baby, she got eczema
from her first solid food of applesauce and pureed pears.  But I had never
had her IgE tested until this year, and I just knew that it would come out
high.  It was 720 with 0-100 being the normal range, but her brother's has
been higher than 2000.
       I have no idea what "chiggers" are!!!  Is this a strictly american
thing?  Claire's "rash" on her legs isn't bright red or anything.  But when
you feel the skin it is bumpy and rough all over.  It isn't itchy.
Barbara, Mum of Claire 8