RE: [IPp] hello and question re: schools

Hey Marie.  I don't think you need to worry too much about his pump
becoming dislodged.  Emma's had hers at school for 2 years, and she's
never lost a set at school.  They don't come out as often as you might
fear.  We've had maybe 4 or 5 over the years, most from getting dressed
after a bath before the tape dries again, and a couple from the
trampoline here at home.

Perhaps you could "bend the rules" just a bit at school.  As long as
your child presses the last button to actually deliver the insulin, the
teacher won't be "administering insulin".  The Paradigm is set up so you
don't need to know any math or ratios - it does all the calculations for
you, so the teacher will just have to know the carb amounts.  I don't
see why the teacher couldn't shut off any alarms that occur either.
That's not administering insulin.  As long as you have a teacher willing
to work with you, it could be okay.

We don't have a school nurse either, and the administration didn't want
the teacher giving insulin either.  Once I explained that pretty much
everything was programmed into the pump, and the teacher wouldn't be
making any "decisions", they were okay with it.  I always have them do a
meal with a correction so they have to put in her blood sugar, and allow
the pump to adjust for insulin on board.  This is a great safety
feature.  Emma stays really in range at school.

Hope this helps!

Catherine, mom to:
Madeline - 10  Austin  - 9
Emma  - 5  (dx 10/9/02 - pumping Cozmo)