[IPp] RE: stomach virus - ketones

Hi Sybil,

We've gone through at least two (and I think three?) episodes where
Sigrid had some sort of stomach bug and wouldn't eat (with diarrhea, I
think) -  and as a result she quickly developed high ketones even
though her blood sugar stayed normal or even on the low side
("euglycemic ketosis").  For each episode, what we did was  to PUSH
fluids (there are a LOT of Pedialyte wannabes out there, and very few
she'll drink, but we couldn't know that until we'd tried every one in
existence), turn down the basal insulin a bit (but not turning it off),
and check her blood sugar probably every two hours if not more often,
and try to get her to eat something - anything, really.  Fortunately
this was enough to get her through each episode without going to the
hospital (the endos on call have agreed with us on this strategy -
actually the first time this happenned it was the endo who suggested
it).

Ketones are not good but in this instance they don't mean you need to
go to the hospital right away.  They do mean you need to cancel
whatever you had planned for the day ( and plan to be up lots in the
night), to deal with the sick kid.

We have lots of Pedialyte wannabees in our cupboards that Sigrid won't
drink.  What she seems  to like best is the grape flavor Gerber
Liquilyte.  Also some of the "pediatric rehydration" popsicles.  She
has never had any other kind of popsicle so she doesn't know that
others exist.  She actually sometimes  asks for a popsicle even when
she's not sick - and this is the only kind in the freezer - so we give
it to her (if she thinks it's a treat, all the better....)

- Maria, mom to 3 yo Sigrid (dx'd @ 11 mos, pumping w/Cozmo since 17
mos) and to 4-wk-old Vibeka