Re: [IPp] Stomache Virus

Sybil
I was trying to think recently about what are the most difficult elements of
managing Grace and the diabetes. Accumulated sleep deprivation is such a
huge factor and it comes into it's own when there is a crisis. I find all
the info I have accumulated just evaporates in foggy brain. It's one of the
times I feel most isolated from the team as they can ask something crass in
their just not getting it. I keep every bit of energy for surviving with
Grace and they look at my notes ( which work for me) and they moan if I
didn't include something they want to know, not vital stuff. I always think
that the only way they could have a notion what I need is if they went
through it and I could never wish this on anyone. A while ago I managed
Grace at home with a stomach bug. Terrified of being parted as a family,
staying at home is big for us. Small ketones but low, despite everything
that went in, came up again. I rang to "consult" with the Consultant. he
immediately said to admit her. It struck me that he had absolutely no idea
what I had been through or what it would mean and the idea of "consulting"
with me her primary carer never entered his head...cos I am only a parent.
In fact, I kept her home and watched her like a hawk. It was fine. For me it
is about trusting myself as an expert in Grace's life and also trusting that
at crisis I am firstly her Mum and care in a way no other expert would begin
to feel and will feel an exhaustion that is fuelled by concern that just
doesn't factor in their lives or job.
Hope the dust settles soon for you
All the best
Mir
Mum to Grace 5yrs dx 10.03 pumping 5mths and Brian 9yrs