Re: [IPp] Stomach Virus

There has been a study in children about using low dose glucagon during
GI illnesses, that prevented lows and prevented ER visits. You dose
based on weight using an insulin syringe.  I think you can find the
article if you go through the childrenwithdiabetes website

Good luck!

Stacie B. Peddy. M.D.
Fellow, Divisions of Pediatric Cardiology and Critical Care Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
600 N. Wolfe St.
Baltimore, MD 21287
410-955-3762
email @ redacted

WARNING: E-mail sent over the Internet is not secure. Information sent
by e-mail may not remain confidential.
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is intended only for the individual to whom it
is addressed. It may be used only in accordance with applicable laws. If
you received this e-mail by mistake, notify the sender and destroy the
e-mail.

>>> email @ redacted 02/14/05 12:31 PM >>>
Insulin Pumpers is made possible by the tax deductible contributions.
During the Winter PLEDGE drive, won't you help out and do your part
by making a contribution. Your donation of $10, $25, or more... just
$1 or $2 per month is needed so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to
serve you and the rest of the diabetes community. Please visit:

Hi-
 I have 2 of my 5 kids who have diabetes -for about 5 years each and on
pumps about 3 years.  Learned something new - my 6 year old (on the
pump)
along with 4 other family members had a virus Friday evening and we all
were
throwing up and had diarrhea.  On Sat. she still couldn't keep even
water
down and her ketones were large.  Whenever my diabetic kids have had
ketones
before I just increased insulin and tried to get them to drink some and
the
ketones went down.  Well, Madison wasn't eating anything but I kept her
pump
attached and bolused some.  She got too low and we could hardly get her
up
at all because of the virus - The Doctor said to take her to ER for
fluids.
Which I did at Sat Midnight.  She was on IV for 2 1/2 hours and sipped
some
water and threw that up.  So they put a sedative - Zophran - I think in
the
IV and by 7:30 am she was able to eat 2 peanut butter crackers and sip
some
water and keep it down , so we got to go home.   I have had to leave her

pump off to keep her from getting too low even though I put a new
pattern
with lower basals on her.  At 2 am she was 163 so I reattached her pump
(.2
nighttime bolus) This morning she was 23!!!  Sigh. Ketones still large.
guess she will just have the ketones until she gets more well and can
drink
more???   I did give her a compozine suppository on Sat. night before I
took
her into the hospital.  It did make her sleepy, but it didn't stop the
nausea.  Thankfully she was tired and relaxed enough that putting the IV
in
wasn't a struggle.  IV's are the thing I most dread about my kids (or
myself) going to the hospital!
Blessings!
Sybil Fisher, Tyler, Texas