Re: [IPp] Is she old enough to operate the pump?

Hi, Grace is 5yrs and I usually go to the school for break but on the days I
miss, or at home ( especially in the car when I'm driving) Grace does it
herself and only once made a mistake when doing it for teacher and getting
so excited and she did it again to be sure! Actually it was good for her to
feel the fuss that ensued and to see that careful handling was crucial.
Grace has never played with it ,but it's hard to get pumps here and I have
her warned that any messing and they might insist on taking it back or her
greatest fear is a crisis and having to go to hospital. On Friday she was
given an unexpected lolly in school. I asked her what happened and she said
that after checking to see that she wasn't high she had bolused a unit ( it
was a big lollypop) and it was fine. Chuffed that  the teacher was starting
to grasp it so well. I commented that teacher did very well. Grace said no
one was looking Mammy. I wanted to have the lollypop when everyone else was
eating theirs so I looked after it myself. I was very surprised, relieved
and disconcerted!
I have taken to giving Grace yummy lunches as sometimes she left food if it
was time for the yard and teacher didn't know different. If it is fav foods
she has never left it! I write it on the bag and I find the carb stickers
from type1tools.com are very clear for helpers too.
I hear your fear but I figure that unless a pump is locked then we have to
find ways to create a responsible sense in our kids re the pump as none of
us can be sure that messing by friends or self mightn't become attractive to
fill a boring moment!
Best of luck
Mir
Mum to Grace 5yrs dx 10.03 and pumping 5mths