Re: [IPp] 504 and school questions

In a message dated 2/6/2005 7:37:42 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

In  Andrea's 504 plan, we have a section which says  Academic
accommodations.  It lists the following:
* Andrea will be  allowed to test her BG level before testing or
assessment.  If her BG  level does not fall in the normal range (80 to
180), corrective measures  must be taken.  Andrea must have the
opportunity to delay the  assessment until her BG level falls within
the normal range.  She will  be given the same amount of time allotted
to the other students to complete  the assignment.
* Andrea will be allowed to take extra trips to the  bathroom or water
fountain, as needed.
* Andrea will be permitted,  without penalization, extra absences or
tardiness for medical appointments  and sick days related to diabetes,
when necessary.

I'm interested in this topic because with Dan starting a public high school
in the fall, we are starting the 504 process for the first time.  I went to
see the nurse, who said that of the 12 diabetics in the school now, only one
 has a 504 plan and the others have less formal individualized health plans that
she  shares with the teachers.  When Dan registered, however, the dean we
 dealt with said she thought he should have a 504, and that's what we had
planned
on  doing anyway.

Here's my question.  We were planning to use the ADA form with some
 modifications, which is similar to what Natalie cites above. Does this obligate
the
student to test before every classroom test?  With six or  seven subjects, and
lots of tests and quizzes, it seems like it might get to be  a bit much in
high school.  Also, if the numbers are out of range, does the  student have to
sit out the test or is it at his discretion?  As a growing  adolescent, Dan is
high more than I would like, especially after breakfast, and  he does well on
tests etc. (including standardized ones) now, in junior  high.  But I keep
 thinking that on tests like the SAT or ACT, if he needs to test and correct, or
leave the room for a diabetes-related trip to the  bathroom, they would not
 accomodate him on the basis of just a "health plan" and would need a formal 504
on file.  Is that correct?

I know Dan hates to be singled out for attention and I can see him hating  it
if a teacher makes an issue of him testing bg before every quiz or test, or
if he is not allowed to take the test when the rest of the class does.

I guess my question is how much flexibility and discretion the 504 allows
the student.

Thanks,

Mary
(mom of  Chris, 21, Carrie, 17, guardian of Mike, 17, and mom of Dan, 13, dx
4-01,  pumping Cozmo since 5-03)