RE: [IPp] 504 and school questions

The 504 and IDEA is a federal law.  We just recently did a 504 for my son
who is in 5th grade.  I happen to work in the school system and work with
504 and IDEA.  I used the 504 sample plan on the American Diabetes
Association web site as a starting point.  I added some things that would be
appropriate for him in middle school such as unlimited locker access and
being able to call parents at any time.  It covers all issues including
testing, snacks, flexibility during any classroom tests such as getting
water or using the restroom, being able to take tests at other times
depending on blood glucose level, personnel being trained on his care, etc.
I'm not sure about other states, but in Florida there is so much
standardized testing that the kids have to do in school.  They need to have
accommodations in place, academic as well as health.  There is a lot of
helpful information on the ADA website regarding 504.
www.diabetes.org/for-parents-and-kids/diabetes-and-the-law/know-your-rights.
jsp

Carolyn
Mom to Chelsea(13yr), Jeremy(11yr, dx 5/00, pumping 10/02), and Bailey(7yr)