Re: [IPp] 504 and school questions

My experience thru the years has been that the Sec. 504 is only for medical
needs such as testing before lunch, or whenever diabetic child doesn't feel,
etc. We obtained a IEP, Individual Eductational Plan thru the Special Ed dept.
 This allows my child to have extra time on tests, inclusion or resource
 services for support, etc. The need for this is because a young diabetic child
experiences various ups and downs of blood sugars.  Therefore concentration
is difficult, writing might be tuff, reading skils are slower, etc. Have your
child tested thru the school district and can evaluate your child's needs. I
believe this is Nation wide not just state wide, we live in NY and that's how
it  works here. My daughter Katherine has been diabetic since 3, now 15 and
finally  achieved Honor Roll, 1st marking period in High School recently. She
 has never been that close or able to achieve this kind of success. But we chose
Catholic  Elementary school and then public High school for her and it was a
black and  white difference. Catholic schools are not as well equipped to
 handle children with special needs. Good Luck and remember you are your child's
best advocate,  keep fighting!