[IPp] 504 and school questions

My son is 10 and in 5th grade. I do have a 504 for him but have been having
some problems with his teacher lately. I don't think his teacher
understands some aspects of diabetes. The other day she came to me (I work
in the school also) with an assignment he was supposed to do. It really was
an easy assignment but she had him do it over 2 times and he still did not
get it right. So at the end of the day she brought it to me and said he
needed to get it done. I had him sit at a desk in my room and he got it
done. He knew what to do, so it wasn't that but his blood sugars were high
(276) that morning and I was thinking maybe it was interfering with his
concentration.  Another day he comes into my room during recess and has an
pre-test he needs to finish. He had most to it done but didn't understand a
math section. He said she explained it that morning and he had asked her
later what to do and she said he should have listened that morning. He was
in tears because he didn't know how to do it. Well I looked and his blood
sugar was high that morning.
I don't want to enable my son to not do his work but can high blood sugars
effect work or ability to concentrate this much? I do have meeting with his
teacher about this on Tuesday and want to come prepared. Does anyone who has
a 504 plan have anything in it about splicing work on certain occasions? Or
any one go through something similar? Also does anybody know of any books or
websites that would have more info on this for me?
Thanks
Lynn
Mom of Joseph(13), Austin (10)pumping since 10-04, Devin (8) and Zoe(10
months)