[IPp] Re:Snacks at school

In a message dated 2/11/03 6:48:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Nicole has a snack along with her classmates in the am and another at 3:30
> when
> she goes into the aftercare program. I haven't had training on the pump
> yet, by
> my understanding is that these snacks would need a bolus to cover them. If
> she
> chooses not to eat one of them, this won't create a problem, but if she
> does eat
> either of them she would need the nurse to administer the bolus. Is that a
> correct assumption? Thanks. Karan
Hi Karan,
     I've forgotten how old Nicole is.  Claire started pumping in Grade 1,
but didn't attend school very much after that.  But when she began Grade 2, I
sent the same snack every morning.  She knew to bolus one unit for this, and
this was easy for her to remember.  In a year and a half she only forgot to
bolus 3 times! For the first six weeks of grade 2, until we moved in
mid-October, she also had an afternoon snack and I told her not to bolus for
that, as she did not test her bgs on her own at school.   She was running low
in the afternoons while we worked things out.
     If you are worried about the boluses for snacks, there is another way to
handle it.  The Minimed sales rep told me about this, but we never used it.
She said to just program the bolus for the snack into the basal rate.  If you
do this, your daughter will HAVE to have her snack, similar to when on
injections.  And you will have to remember on weekends or non-school days
that it is programmed in.  But it could be a good transitional solution for a
few months or so.   Here in Canada the schools do not have to do anything to
help your child deal with diabetes, (however, they might do certain things at
their discretion) so some parents have used this method.

Barbara, Mumof Claire 8