Re: [IPp] Pumping Kindergartener

Paul was in first grade when he started on the pump. He was hooked up in June
so we had the entire summer to get comfortable with things ourselves before
we had to clue in his teacher, the nurses and other school personnel. I
highly recommend starting in the summer. That way, you work out the kinks and
can answer most of the school personnel's questions definitively when you
start school. (We have a meeting every summer to update everyone at school.)

Paul is NOT a picky eater so the lunch issue was pretty simple to work out. I
always packed his lunch and included a small sticky note listing each item,
the number of carbs, the total number of carbs and his bolus. Paul tests and
boluses BEFORE lunch and then heads off to lunch. If, on the very rare
occasion when he doesn't eat an item (Mom, the banana you packed was
rotten!), he returns to the nurse and they substitute something from his
snack box to cover the carbs he missed.

We do have a nurse at our school every day so that is a great help, too. Paul
does the boluses himself. The nurse does calculations for corrections and she
doublechecks Paul's bolus before he leaves her office.

Last year, in second grade, we got a little more daring. Paul started taking
his lunch to school three times a week and buying school lunch two times a
week. Through trial and error, we have done a pretty good job of figuring out
the carbs. In the beginning, I was going in to school fairly regularly at
lunch time to eyeball the portion sizes and to figure out just exactly what a
"taco salad" is in school speak! We NEVER allow Paul to eat everything that's
on the menu. Too many carbs!!!! Heck, at home, a sandwich and a glass of milk
is enough to satisfy him. School lunches here include a sandwich, corn,
potatoes, fruit and milk!!! Never any green vegetables. Always starchy
ones!!! I usually allow him the main item, fruit and milk.

When we first started the pump, I also passed out an informational sheet to
everyone who would see Paul in the course of the day -- his teachers, the
nurses, gym teachers, librarian, music teacher, art teacher, etc.

And Paul and I did a little presentation in front of his class, explaining
the pump, letting them see it up close and reminding them that they should
NEVER touch it because it's not a toy.

Hope this helps.

Janice, proud mom of Paul, DX 20, now 9 and pumping since age 6