Re: [IPp] Pumps in School

> I have a question regarding the responsibility of a public school
> when it comes to a child on the pump that is too young to be
> responsible for their pump.  Wow, that was a mouth full.  We have
> decided on a pump for my son who will be starting Kindergarten in
> September.  He will be 5 years old.  At first I was told that the
> school takes a "hands-off" approach to the pump.  Well, with more
> discussion they said they would do what was necessary.  Our school
> district does not have a school nurse.  If you have been in this
> situation please share your experiences with me.  I will also pose
> this question to the Insulin Pumpers list.

Hi Coreen,

First place to look is the KIDS page of the web site. There is a lot
of background information in the links on that page that will bring
you up to speed on you and your child's rights as well as the public
school's obligations under various federal laws (there are many).

Basically you need to make a written request to the school for a "504
Plan Meeting". Learn about it first.

Once you have a good basic understanding of what's required of the
school, ask away. I think you will find a wealth of information among
the parents that have had some trouble with their respective schools.
Thankfully, It is safe to say that all the battles over the years
have been won.