[IPp] Pumping Kindergartener

<<<<<From: email @ redacted
I have a question regarding the responsibility of a public school when it
comes to a child on the pump that is too young to be responsible for their
pump.  Wow, that was a mouth full.  We have decided on a pump for my son who
will be starting Kindergarten in September.  He will be 5 years old.  At
first I was told that the school takes a "hands-off" approach to the pump.
Well, with more discussion they said they would do what was necessary.  Our
school district does not have a school nurse.  If you have been in this
situation please share your experiences with me. >>>>>

My son Luke started pumping 2 years ago when he was in kindergarten at a public
school, in March of the year.  While he was one of 4 children at the school w/
Type 1 DM, he was the first pumper.  They have a nurse there every few days,
and the office staff are well-trained on checking blood sugar & how to treat a
low from having kids w/ DM for several years.    But the thought of touching a
$5000 pump that delivered insulin was freaking them all out.  Our son however
saw no big deal with it - the pump's buttons are less complicated than a

So, we started off with him doing his bolus amount.  Luke is a picky eater &
he'd never eat a whole meal at school, so to avoid the burden of them counting
carbs wrong, we just send what he's going to eat, with the carbs counted & the
bolus written down in big letters (like BOLUS 3.0).  Luke stops by the office
on the way to lunch & boluses there, where they can see him bolus to confirm
the # for him.  Plus we set the maximum bolus just above the full amount that
he does for lunch (low enough that he could eat that much sugar if needed).
He's the only person at school who touches his pump.  It's worked great for us
for 2 years (he's now in 2nd grade).    I know it may not work for you
especially if your kid wants to buy lunch at school.  We do that on the special
occasions when we go eat lunch with him.  I've just seen how busy school can
get (like when the flu is going around which...knock on wood...has avoided Luke
so far) & prefer to have as few things as possible having a chance to go wrong.
 So we do the math for them.

In the past 2 years, 2 of the other kids w/ diabetes went on the pump, and they
were in 4th & 5th grade, so they were already calculating their own bolus

Please feel free to email me privately if you need more info.  And know that
your little one will do okay - it is scary enough to send your non-DM kid to
school, though.  I remember all too well the 1st day of Luke going to
kinder...and the 1st day pumping....they all came out fine.

Shelly V., mom to Luke, 8, dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01 (MM508)
& also to non-DM kids 12 & 10

Do you Yahoo!?