[IPp] Re: weight gain and good control

In a message dated 2/5/2003 7:18:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Does anyone know if there is a correlation to weight gain and good control?
> Jake's been doing wonderful since Nov. w/ very few highs, but he has gained
> 13 pounds too!  We

There can be a correlation with weight gain and good control.  If a person
had high bgs most of the time, they would be losing a lot of the calories as
the glucose was lost through their urine.  That is why our kids are checked
regularly for proper weight gain and growth.  If the same diet and exercise
level is kept  and then bg control improves significantly then weight would
be put on.

Most kids have lost significant weight at dx.  Then after starting insulin
the weight is quickly put back on.

Can Jake have a session with a dietician to help work things out for him?
You don't want him to equate good control with anything he sees as a
negative.  Also, has he had his thyroid tested recently?  There could be
other things going on here, so check with his doctor if possible.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8