[IPp] weight gain and good control

Does anyone know if there is a correlation to weight gain and good control?
Jake's been doing wonderful since Nov. w/ very few highs, but he has gained
13 pounds too!  We know he fights weight and pretty much stick to a diet. He
gained a lot of weight shortly after going on the pump, but we were letting
him eat and bolus for whatever he wanted. It seems to all be in his stomach.
He is so upset that he's like forget good control if it's gonna make me fat
and slow. (We play tournament baseball six months out of the year) Any
idea's? Trena (mom to Jake 12)