[IPp] re: Ultra meter & alt. sites

<<From: "Angela Parham" <email @ redacted>
....I've talked to another person who mentioned the
same thing about alternate site testing; that it left a bunch of little red
spots.  Actually, my daughter doesn't seem to mind the fingersticks either.
Sometimes I just feel really bad, poking her so much.  But she hasn't really
complained, so maybe I should stick with what we have.  We tried the One
Touch Fast Take before, and it just didn't work for her.  It was too fast.
We had to make sure we had plenty of blood before ever touching the strip to
the blood, or it would start counting and be finished before it was ever
completely filled.  But we haven't ever tried the Ultra.

What is YMMV??>>

We got the One Touch Ultra meter last summer - I LOVE it!  We switched
from the FastTake before that, which I liked quite a bit but the Ultra
is definitely less blood & 5 seconds til that bg # pops up.  We've had
better luck with the Ultra strips & getting the blood in than on the
FastTake.  I'd call Lifescan & tell them you had a problem w/ the FastTake
but heard good things about the Ultra, could you try it.  They gave us
one in a giveaway & we got the other from our insurance (1 free meter/

We did try the Ultra on the arms - my arms first as Luke will try
anything much more readily once he sees me do it.  Well I bruised up all
3 times we tried it (3 sep. nights) so he refused to try it, and said he
doesn't mind his fingers being tested either.  We've seen kids at camp
use the Freestyle on the arms with no problem but after reading about the
issues with checking for lows & the arm blood not reflecting that as
quickly as the small capillaries like in the fingers, we gave up & "stuck"
with what we already knew.

And YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary = what works for us may be different for

Shelly V, mom to Luke, 7, dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/5/01

Do You Yahoo!?