Re: [IPp] pump comparison

In a message dated 2/25/2002 7:34:03 PM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I'd like to get some opinions on the different brands of pumps.

Here's a "reprint" of a my reply to a similar inquiry on another list:

We did a lot of research and really looked at things carefully.  In the end,
the reality is that they are ALL "good" pumps (couldn't get FDA approval if
they weren't) and that selecting a pump should be an individual choice based
on the needs and preferences of the pumper (and the parents, in the case of a

In the end, my husband, daughter, and I ended up choosing the Animas R-1000
pump as the "BEST" pump for her.  She's been pumping for almost 9 months now
and with that experience under our belts, I'm happy to say that we are
extremely happy with our choice.  We love the pump and have been very happy
with Animas as a company.  Not only has the service been first rate, but
every person we've dealt with has been just plain nice.

Here are some of the things we like about Animas pump (in no particular

Animas has the highest waterproof rating (Tested at 12 ft for 24 hours).  I
paid attention to that one because my daughter is half fish . . . Although
she *can* disconnect, she virtually never does except to hook up a new set
every three days.  And, by staying connected (1) you get to take full
advantage of those finely-tuned basals you work so hard to get, and (2) if
you wear your pump all the time, it's easier to ignore tha fact that you've
got this thing connected to you (kind of like how you don't feel your wedding
ring on your finger).

In the shower, she just clips her Animas pump to the shampoo rack.  In the
tub, she just sets it on the ledge next to the tub (so as not to cook the
insulin).  In the pool, she just clips it to he bikini bottoms.

Last summer, we spent three weeks in Hawai`i.  In the ocean or in a murky
lake, I ask her to put it in a neoprene sports belt just because I didn't
want to have her $5,500 pump get knocked off during some horseplay and end up
in Davy Jones locker!.  She wore her pump in the ocean at least once a day
while we were there. She also wore it kayaking and snorkeling.  This summer
she plans to try surfing . . .

The thing I like about her staying connected is that she has her pump (with
insulin!) with her at all times if she needs to bolus (like if we kayak out
to the little island in the bay with a picnic) or if she's just not playing
hard enough in the water to make up for all her normal basal requirements.
Plus, then we don't have to worry about finding a safe place at the pool or
beach to store the pump where the insulin won't get roasted, or the pump
won't get lost, damaged, or stolen (as happened to one fellow on the IP list
this summer).

I know some pumpers prefer to disconnect, and some don't have an option
because their pump isn't waterproof, but for us, her having a waterproof pump
has been great.

Using the pump (to do a bolus, set up a basal profile, change the clock when
it's daylight savings time, etc. etc.) is a snap because this pump is all
menu driven.  If you can read English (or whatever language you request --- I
think the R-1000 can do 6 or 8 languages now) you can run the pump.  You
don't have to memorize anything, just read the screen.  It's like an ATM
machine. Go try it for yourself on the "Virtual Pump" on the Animas web site

My daughter mastered it in minutes and we weren't far behind.  There's a 24
hour customer service line if you ever have any questions or problems, but we
haven't opened the manual since pump start let alone needed to call customer
service about how to do something on the pump.

All the "mechanical" stuff is easy -- even if you're NOT mechnically inclined
. . . Filling Cartridges (with insulin) is like drawing up a syringe (and
takes about that long).  Then you just drop in in the chamber, close the
little door, twist on the infusion set of your choice (unlike the Paradigm,
Animas uses the industry standard Luer lock connection) and you ready to
roll.  Changing batteries is that simple too -- plus they use a standard
"357" battery that you can pick up at Walmart, Target, or a pharmacy if you
ever need to (though the ones from Animas are cheaper and seem to last
longer) -- but a least you're not stuck if you forget to pack extra pump
batteries when you go on vacation . . . some pumps require special batteries
that you can only get from the pump maker.

How the pump looked was very important to my daughter.  The Animas pump was
small and thin and *most importantly to her* looked like a pager.  She also
really liked all the snap-on covers you can get in something like 20
different colors including metallics and irridescents.  They also have
re-usable pump cover stickers in various sports and holiday themes.  You can
"try on" a few of the pump cover colors on the "virtual pump"  and the pump
cover stickers are in the "autumn" newsletter on page 4 (also on the web

Animas has the lowest hourly basal rate increment (.05 uph), a feature that
we didn't think would matter to us -- but we later found that being able to
adjust our hourly  basals in increments of five hundredths of a unit per hour
(instead of one tenth of a unit increments like other pumps) did actuallly
make a difference when fine tuning Katie's overnight basals.

The Animas pump allows you to set up up to  four basal profiles (basal
programs) to deal with different types of situations that affect you basal
insulin needs.  We weren't sure how much we would use this feature, but it
too has come in handy.  We've played around with several different profiles,
and right now we have set up three profiles: School Days, Weekends, and
Sleepovers.  It's so handy to have these already set up.  It's very easy to
just switch from one to the other.

We also use the temporary basal feature which gives you lots of options to
raise or lower your basal rate by percentages for periods ranging from a half
hour up to 12 hours.  We use this feature a lot to prevent lows related to
exercise.  Katie likes not having to eat right before/during exercise just to
keep from going low.

The Animas R-1000 performs 1,000 safety checks per minute (hence it's name).
It also has powerful motor to overcome potential occlusions coupled with the
most sensitive occlusion detection system of any pump on the market.  I also
like how I can set maximum limits on basals and boluses to help keep my
daughter from accidentally doing a bolus of 14 units when she really meant to
do a 1.4 unit bolus (and then change those limits based on what we need them
to be).
As I said, these are some of the main things we like about the Animas pump.
You may find some of them aren't of interest to you, or that other features
of the pump are of more interest.  The thing you need to do is to review each
pump's features and figure out what the benefit of that feature would be to a
pumper, whether that benefit applies to your child and how important it is to

An example I can give you is audio boluses.  Now I think that all the pumps
currently available offer this feature, however, if one didn't, but offered
other features we wanted the lack of the audio bolus wouldn't matter us
because that's a feature we never use -- I want my daughter to visually
verify the bolus amount before she activates the pump to actually deliver the
bolus of insulin (therefore we have that feature turned "off" on her Animas
pump even though it has the capability).

I hope this is helpful to you.  Sorry it's so long (it's a bad habit of
mine).  Please me know if you have any more questions about the Animas pump,
or just pumping in general.

Good Luck & Happy Pumping!

Pumpmama to Katie (11, dx @9) happily pumping with her Animas pump "Elvis"
since 6-1-01