Re: [IPp] meters

In a message dated 2/24/2002 3:23:36 PM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Speaking of meters, does anyone know the name of the meter (I heard ther's
>  only one) that also checks for ketones when you do fingersticks?  If
>  has used this meter, did you find that it was an okay substitute for the
>  ketostix?

It's called the Precision Xtra Meter and we love it.  It give you a more
precise and up to the minute measurement of acutal ketone levels in the blood
(rather than what's been going on since the last time your child urinated).
It does take a fairly large drop of blood, but I like the fact that I can
check for ketones without even having to wake a sleeping child with a
unexpected high during the night . . . The main drawback is that the  ketone
strips are pricey and may not be covered by insurance (unless you're also
using the meter for glucose testing -- they give you a certain number of
ketone strips "free" with every box of glucose test strips).

Pumpmama to Katie