[IPp] re: night corrections

<<"Monterey Counseling Center" <email @ redacted>
12yo Summer hates glucotabs.  I did it again last night.  She woke up
low, was ravenous and asked for a slice of apple with peanut butter.  I
gave it to her, but it is such a slow carb she was miserable waiting for it
to kick in.  I don't use apple juice for the same reason - she is miserable
because it doesn't satisfy.  What do you do for nighttime corrections?>>

Once we learned about glucose tablets, we started using those more than
anything else to correct lows.  But, before that - especially with those
NPH lows during the night - we found that skim milk with "real" (sugar)
chocolate syrup brings Luke up & holds him steady for a while.  Plus
he loves the taste of chocolate milk & sips it right up through a straw.
The use of the chocolate syrup provides concentrated sugar so that he
doesn't have to drink so much.  I find that 2 tsp. of Hershey's choc.
syrup (about 8 g CHO) + 2 oz. skim milk (about 3 g CHO) works well for Luke
when he's in the 50-60 range.  Of course, this may not be enough or may be too
much for your kid so be ready to "experiment" (what in DM is not an

Shelly V., mom to Luke, 7, dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01 + Trevor 11 & Kate 8

Do You Yahoo!?