Re: [IPp] Jake had a BREAKTHROUGH! (Long)

we had the same problem with kayleigh when she started her pump. she
would get hysterical as soon as she spotted the blue quick serter.when we
urgently needed to get insulin into her we had to hod her down. i thought
'we cant go on putting her through this', it was also distressing for us.
after a bit more research on the net i found the sillohette and asked the
doc if we can give it a go. although reluctant the were more than happy
to try anything once. it worked and she was so happy to be free of the
terror. i think what was happening was the canula was too long and was
hitting the wall of muscle(which was even tenser than normal with all the
panicing). and now she even allows me to insert without the emla cream.
kayleigh is 5yrs old and i love her too bits!!

             love and hugs

karen rattray >From: "Sean Hamblin" <email @ redacted> >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: <email @ redacted>,
<email @ redacted>, <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IPp] Jake had a BREAKTHROUGH! (Long) >Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002
11:02:21 -0600 > >I have an update on Jake's site change issues. If you
remember, we have >been pumping since mid Jan and have had continuous
problems with the site >changes. The anticipation overwhelms Jake to the
point that he couldn't >push the button on the insertion device and he
wouldn't allow me or anyone >else to do it. Site changes took up to an
hour and were very traumatic. >Most of the time I would have to just
reach over and quickly push the button >without him realizing what I was
doing just so we could get some insulin >into him. I was at my wit's end
and almost ready to go back to MDI until he >could get over the
anticipation thing. > >BUT.....JAKE HAD A BREAKTHROUGH yesterday! After
having a kinked cannula in >the morning and using needles to inject
insulin while at school yesterday, I >tried to prepare him for another
site change on the way home from >school...ugh. I dreaded it. He begged
me to let him insert the QS >manually. I hesitated because everytime he
has tried manually, because he >inserts very slowly, the cannula kinks,
so I told him we NEEDED to use the >insertion device. However, my heart
just couldn't take it and I gave >in......we would TRY inserting manually
ONE MORE TIME, but if it kinked >again, he would HAVE to allow me to push
the button on the insertion device. >Reluctantly, he said, "Okay,
Mom.....it's a deal'. > >While I prepared everything for the site change,
he peeled off the old site >and searched for a good spot on his tummy. I
decided not to cut a hole in >the IV3000 and to let him try to insert
through it while I held his skin >taut. I had seen on this list where
some members were doing that, so I >thought we'd try it. After telling
Jake that he HAD to insert it in one >quick motion, I let him try,
holding my breath, not really thinking he would >do it. He TOTALLY
surprised himself AND me when he did it on the first try! >We were
ELATED! He couldn't believe the needle went in and it didn't even >hurt
(he said)! We both did the Happy Dance and hugged and laughed! He was
>sooo proud of himself and I praised and praised him. > >Hopefully the
next change will go just as well and we can say that we're >OVER THE
HUMP.......His numbers have been good since the change so I know >the
cannula didn't kink. I can't tell you the relief I feel....... > >Thanks
to everyone on the list for the advice/suggestions/support! I think >that
not cutting a hole in the IV3000 made a difference. > >Another hurdle
overcome (we hope!).... >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Brian
Carter" <email @ redacted> >To: <email @ redacted> >Sent:
Saturday, February 23, 2002 2:16 AM >Subject: Re: [IP] High - DKA > > > >
At 11:06 PM 2/22/2002, you wrote: > > >Hi Michael!! > > >I was just
curious....What is it you do for a living? You seem so > >
>knowledgable!! > > >Lauren > > > > > > Most of the time its not what you
do for a living its what Living does to > > you... lol > > > > > > > >