[IPp] Jake had a BREAKTHROUGH! (Long)

I have an update on Jake's site change issues.  If you remember, we have
been pumping since mid Jan and have had continuous problems with the site
changes.  The anticipation overwhelms Jake to the point that he couldn't
push the button on the insertion device and he wouldn't allow me or anyone
else to do it.  Site changes took up to an hour and were very traumatic.
Most of the time I would have to just reach over and quickly push the button
without him realizing what I was doing just so we could get some insulin
into him.  I was at my wit's end and almost ready to go back to MDI until he
could get over the anticipation thing.

BUT.....JAKE HAD A BREAKTHROUGH yesterday!  After having a kinked cannula in
the morning and using needles to inject insulin while at school yesterday, I
tried to prepare him for another site change on the way home from
school...ugh.  I dreaded it.  He begged me to let him insert the QS
manually.  I hesitated because everytime he has tried manually, because he
inserts very slowly, the cannula kinks, so I told him we NEEDED to use the
insertion device.  However, my heart just couldn't take it and I gave
in......we would TRY inserting manually ONE MORE TIME, but if it kinked
again, he would HAVE to allow me to push the button on the insertion device.
Reluctantly, he said, "Okay, Mom.....it's a deal'.

While I prepared everything for the site change, he peeled off the old site
and searched for a good spot on his tummy.  I decided not to cut a hole in
the IV3000 and to let him try to insert through it while I held his skin
taut.  I had seen on this list where some members were doing that, so I
thought we'd try it.  After telling Jake that he HAD to insert it in one
quick motion, I let him try, holding my breath, not really thinking he would
do it.  He TOTALLY surprised himself AND me when he did it on the first try!
We were ELATED!  He couldn't believe the needle went in and it didn't even
hurt (he said)!  We both did the Happy Dance and hugged and laughed!  He was
sooo proud of himself and I praised and praised him.

Hopefully the next change will go just as well and we can say that we're
OVER THE HUMP.......His numbers have been good since the change so I know
the cannula didn't kink.  I can't tell you the relief I feel.......

Thanks to everyone on the list for the advice/suggestions/support!  I think
that not cutting a hole in the IV3000 made a difference.

Another hurdle overcome (we hope!)....