Re: [IPp] night corrections

We used to think that a box of apple juice would be the least disruptive
thing to treat nighttime lows.  Also, Jeremy said he might be too tired to
chew and then brush his teeth after!   After trying apple juice a few times,
it was very aggravating.  As you said, the juice was slow to bring up his
b.g. -- usually had to treat him TWICE with the a.j. -- "give 15/wait 15"
rule we were told to use.   Jeremy didnt' really like having to test, drink,
wait, test, drink, wait, test...and then finally go back to sleep.

Most recently when he was low (60's), we did the glucose tabs -- bam.
Brought him up in less than 15 minutes and he came in fine at his breakfast
check.

Also, on the flavor of glucotabs issue... Jeremy is definitely brand loyal
(Dex 4), and he recently became tied to only one flavor (grape) in that
brand.  Maybe you can try small packs (rolls of 10, sometimes, sometimes if
you call the manufacture, they will send a free sample pack) from various
brands and narrow it down that way.  Although it is expensive to do that, we
found it so worthwhile because he is always very cooperative about treating
his lows with the glucose tabs he likes.

Also, when I know beforehand I am doing a night check (when he goes to bed
80-100 or had extra activity), I get a bowl with the meter, pen, 4 glucotabs
ready at the bottom of the staircase and grab it on my way up to him at 2am.
  When I don't know beforehand, I make the trips up and down too!  :)

I hope this helps,
Allison
(mom to Jeremy, 7.5, dx'd 12/00, not pumping yet)