Re: [IPp] night corrections

In a message dated 2/22/2002 4:20:58 PM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> 12yo Summer hates glucotabs.

My Katie will eat them is she has to (she prefers the Raspberry flavored
ones, but they are hard to find).  We've found that the SMALL Juicy Juice
boxes (about 4 0z. -- 17g of CHO) are convenient and can be sucked down very
quickly (and even if she's half asleep) and raise her glucose levels 40-50
points in 10 minutes -- so we usually use those for treating a low (which are
almost always from sports activities where we guessed wrong as to when we
needed to start her temp basal).  We carry these around and have stashes in
her bedroom and in various other spots around the house . . .

She also likes the small tubes of gel frosting that they suggest using for
moderate lows -- even though she's only having a mild low there's something
appealing about being allowed to eat cake frosting . . .

I like both of these options because she gets them down quickly and they
start acting quickly.  Then, if she's feeling ravenous from the low, I let
her eat what she wants after that (and we just wait to bolus for those carbs
until we've re-checked her BGs in 10-15 minutes to make sure the low has been

I've also heard other folks on the IP list who are partial to treating lows
with raisins (or other dried fruit), life savers, honey sticks, and pixie

Pumpmama to Katie