Re: [IPp] Vacation Q

In a message dated 2/21/2002 11:16:32 PM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Is it ok to just plan on letting him run a bit higher?  I think I
>  won't correct as often and probably leave him around 200 during the day.

I think you just have to go with what you are comfortable with for your child
. . . It's so hard to say what his BGs will do, EXCEPT that I think it's
always safe to assume that BGs can drop the most/fastest during water play.
The combination of the activity and the cool water seems to do that faster
than anything else in my experience.

Katie's pump is waterproof (so she generally wears it at the pool/waterpark),
 but we pretty much always do a temp basal of at least minus 50% and check
BGs hourly.  Oftentimes, an afternoon playing in the pool, and she can skip
bolusing for snacks (even at half her normal basal rate) -- But that's *my*
child . . .  every kid is different, so just plan on being flexible and
letting him run a shade on the high side (at least to start) so you don't
have worry about lows).  And be sure that you take quick sugar with you where
ever you go (as I'm sure you already do -- but sometimes on vacation, out of
the usual routine, it can be easy to forget something like that).

And don't forget those dates . . . even if it's just a couple of hours for
dinner or (gasp!) a leisurely breakfast sans children or a couple hours to
read in a hammock without being responsible for answering the cry of "Mom!
Mom! Dad! Dad!" . . . It will do the whole family good if the two of you get
a little vacation out of this vacation!

You're going to have a great time!

Pumpmama to Katie