Re: [IPp] Vacation Q (long)

We went to Disney with our son last April -- 4 months after dx (booked it 2
months before dx) and he was (and still is) on MDI.  We were advised to cut
back on his morning NPH the morning following arrival, in anticipation of
the activity level making him low (so I think that would correspond somewhat
to your concern about changing the basal rates).  We didn't get lows -- he
was higher than we planned for (but not alarmingly high), and had to catch
him up on higher H doses at his meals.  We were told between meals to just
have him drink lots to bring him down, and that did help.  I was not aware
there was a disability pass that allowed for not waiting for rides -- how
did you get that?  We had some rides that we waited a long time for, even
with the FastPass and we snacked Jeremy in the line.  You are lucky that you
are on the pump -- bedtime NPH made us end our nights earlier than we all
wanted to -- even with an extra "post-dinner/pre-bedtime" snack in there to
give us an extra 2-3 hours.

Also, when we called to make reservations at some of the popular
restaurants, they let us know times available.  These times, for the most
part, did not work with our meal times for Jeremy.  When we mentioned that
he had diabetes -- they still couldn't accomodate us at a better time and
told us to bring an extra snack for him while he waited to eat at that rez
time.  So we bagged the reservations for finer dining and we ate wherever we
were at his meal times.  THAT was really much more relaxing for us because
we didn't have to be in a particular park at a particular time to keep a
reservation if he wanted to be somewhere else more fun.  We called for
reservations a month in advance of our trip and had this happen.  I think
they said that we could have called earlier for better time selections, but
we did not know to do that.

Oh, also, we learned the hard way that in about 80-degrees, an ice-pack
lasts about 5 hours tops.  Our first half-day when we arrived, it was
totally melted but we were still going strong -- so I went back to the hotel
and swapped out our ice pack and met up with my husband and son after that.
THEN we learned that the first-aid station in each park will keep our
insulin cold (we carried ours) and extra ice packs frozen for us!  The first
aid station people were VERY kind and understanding.

Are you staying on the Disney property?  They were wonderful about giving us
a fridge for the room at no charge.  (I would guess most hotels do this?)
THey didnt' offer it, but when they told me it would be $10 per night for
the fridge, I told them medical condition and requested they run it by a
manager.  Free fridge!  Not only for the insulin and ice packs, but we kept
milk, juice, etc. in there.  It let us wake up and do the morning shot
routine leisurely, in privacy, and eat in the room.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!
-- Allison