Re: [IPp] Vacation Q

In a message dated 2/21/2002 3:05:00 PM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>  <G>!!!!!  Should I plan on decreasing basals ahead of time or suspending
>  pump?  What am I going to need for what will most likely be a 4 night/5 day
>  trip?  I'm really nervous because this is something new but it should be
>  ALOT easier on the pump than MDI's!!!:O)

First, pack three times as much as you think you're going to need in terms of
supplies, snacks, juices, etc.. You're going by car so this is not a problem
and you will be glad to have plenty of familiar stuff available.

Second, don't assume you can guess ahead of time what his BG's are going to
do (so just plan test frequently and adjust as you go).  Pumps are so easily
adapted to changing sircumstances - just take adavantage of that and ENJOY
your vacation!

Third, pack an alarm clock that you know how to operate -- you're going to
want to do some night time checks and there's nothing more frustrating than
trying to count on some stupid hotel alarm clock.  Also, make arrangements
for a refrigerator ahead of time.  If you tell them you need it to store you
son's insulin in, they probably won't even charge you.

Fourth, consider doing all your theme park time in the mornings and evenings.
 Adults can trade off who gets to nap with the little ones in the hotel room
in the afternoon and who takes the older kids to the pool.  We did this on
our last trip to DIsney World and taking time to get away from the crowds and
just play quietly in the room or at the pool was one of the best parts of our
vacation -- and really let us enjoy our time at the theme parks, too.

Fifth -- make SURE you and your hubby get to go on SEVERAL "dates" (no
excuses!  This is a family vacation and the best way to make sure you stay a
family is to take care of your marriage!)

Have a wonderful time!

Pumpmama to Katie