[IPp] re: 24 hrs on Humalog site - try Novolog

<<Liz wrote:  Laura is currently pumping humalog, about 16 units a day, and her
sets only last 24 hours.  I don't think Novolog would be good for us because
people had to reduce their basals when they started Novolog.  Many of
Laura's basals are at 0.1 and cannot be lowered.>>

We had similar concerns for Luke when we tried Novolog, because his daytime
basal is 0.1 u/hr from 9am until 5pm, and I won't set a zero basal because
I believe it's too risky to have no insulin going & endo agrees.  We were
even using diluted Humalog, but there is not a diluent yet for Novolog.  So
we were pretty concerned about going from essentially 0.05u/hr changes to
0.1u.  But it has worked out fine.  Luke uses about 15-18u/day, depending
on how much he eats, and he's stayed at that rate.  His early morning
basal had to increase by 0.1 u/hr & his mid-evening one decreased by 0.1u/hr
but otherwise we're using the same carb ratio, correction factor & getting the
same total daily rate.    We do get 3-4 days out of a Novolog site, and
the 3-4 is because we sometimes choose to do them at 3 days for convenience -
or those darn belly sites that we've stopped using for a while.  You might
consider trying it.  As you know, changing sites every day stinks!  We started
Novolog in mid-October & were "evened out" by beg. of November.  Of course,
I've had to tweak basals another 3 or 4 times since then as he grows...

& for Teresa, Brynn's mom - are you doing hip/buttock sites & still
getting bent cannulas?  These are great on Luke, and with QuickSets
he can still disconnect w/ 1 hand.

Best of luck - Shelly V, mom to Luke, 7, dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01

Do You Yahoo!?