[IPp] Re: Road to Pumping

In a message dated 2/17/2002 2:03:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> *I want to explain Riley's dx's to you all ok?  Riley had had croup 3 weeks
> prior to dx's.  The Ped. gave him Prednisone (yes, that infamous steroid!)
> and his D sypmtoms showed up 24 hours after the first dose-he wet the bed.
> He was not quite 4 years old at the time.  The symptoms continued and got
> progressively worse.  I called the Ped's office at least 4 times a week
> concerned.  She kept shrugging it off saying it was a side effect of the
> steriod-don't worry.  Boy, was I blind (or in denial!).  I *knew* the
> symptoms of D my younger sis was dx'd at age 3 (TI 26 years no
> complications) but I think deep down I didn't want to face the fact that my
> child had it too kwim?  Anyway, one morning (he had lost 7lbs by then but we
> kept telling ourselves he grew taller or he slimmed a bit but he's an active
> boy) I got up and Riley was gray, mottled skin, suken eyes and breathing
> very, very rapidly.  He woke up, vomited and I knew at that moment he was
> dying and I didn't really know why.  I've never been so scared in my entire
> life!  I rushed him and the other 3 kids to the Peds, he passed out in the
> office.  They rushed him via an ambulance to the rural hospital, stabilized
> him and lifewatched him to a major hospital.  He remained in a coma for 12
> hours.  We spent 2 days in PICU and 5 on the Ped's floor.  I still feel a
> lot of guilt over this ya know?  It was good (sad to say) that he was in
> PICU for 2 days because it helped us really examine our priorities and
> helped form our positive attitude towards D.  Riley was surrounded by
> children who would never leave that unit (well, not physically)-some as
> young as 6 mos old.  I was thankful that not only would our child leave this
> place but he would go on to live a full, healthy life.  I have 2 positive
> role models too-my uncle who is TI for 45 years and complication free and my
> sister.  I knew if they could do it Riley could too!:O)  Anyway, I just
> wanted everyone to know that yes, I was blind and an idiot but I'm not
> really an idiot!!<G>

I know exactly how you feel!!!  I sat here reading this crying because I went
through almost identical circumstances.  Ashley had just turned 5 & ended up
in a coma.  I am still feeling the guilt from that.  If you want to read her
story it is at  <A HREF="http://www.elviradarknight.com/diabetes/index.html">Discussing Ashley's Diabetes</A> .  All the signs were there & I
had no idea what was going on.  I just knew something was terribly wrong &
everyone else was telling me I was over reacting!!!  Now I follow my gut!!!
I wish we could have had Ashley on the pump sooner but, I am so glad she is
on it now.  Thank you for sharing your story Amy.

 Kim...........Mom of Ashley 10 yrs old(diabetic for 5 years & pumping