[IPp] re: Camp Bluebonnet in central Texas

>>From: email @ redacted - Beverly
>> Shelly, can you tell me a little about Camp Bluebonnet? are they pump
>>friendly? where are they?.......thanks!<<

Camp Bluebonnet is sponsored by the Austin ADA & Children's Hospital of
Austin Specialty Care Center.  For the past 2 years & in plans for this
year it will be at Peaceable Kingdom, which is between Killeen & Salado,
about a 1 hr. ride north of Austin.  It will be June 10-14 this year.

Last year was the first big year with a ton of pumpers, since the local
pediatric endo went from about 5 to 60 pumpers last spring.  So the camp
became very pump friendly then.  Our MiniMed pump trainer is also an RN/CDE &
she came out & volunteered the whole week with the Med. team & she brought
QuickSets (that was during a time of tight supply, even better) - she did
changeouts after swimming just about every day when kids sets would fall off in
the water.  Nurses from Children's Hospital volunteer for the med. team.  Our
whole family goes - it's such a great time to visit with other parents & it's
so relaxing to not have to take any diabetes supplies or snacks for 1 week.  We
do have to take lunches.  We ride a chartered bus from Austin to camp & back
every day & watch movies.  The camp is largely outside, so the kids start out
high from excitement on Monday & end up running low on Wed-Fri from all the
This year will be our 3rd year to go (Luke was diagnosed Oct. 1999).  My older
kids actually like the camp better than Luke does - they check their b.g. every
day & think that the snacks are great.

Look on the ADA website for camp contact info:

All my best,
Shelly V, mom to Luke, dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01 & to Trevor 11 & Kate 8

Do You Yahoo!?