Re: [IPp] Road to pumping

In a message dated 2/15/2002 9:39:13 PM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> How did you know about it?

Thanks to Nicole Johnson's making diabetes awareness & education her
"platform" at the 1999 Miss America pageant (which she won while wear her
insulin pump --  in case anyone here doesn't already know), we learned about
insulin pumps and the symptoms of diabetes before Katie was diagnosed.  So,
thanks to her, my Katie was diagnosed early (only had trace ketones and BG
were under 300), and we knew enough to started asking about pumps on the very
first day of diabetes education after diagnosis . . .

> How did you accomplish
>  it from ideal to actual insulin?

Lots of research on the benefits of pumping, never accepting "no" for an
answer (even when it meant having to change doctors), and learning everything
I could about pumping before she started pumping (thanks to all the great
folks on the IP list and the book 'Pumping Insulin').

> How long did it take?

One week less than 7 months from diagnosis until pumping insulin (and that
was too long, in my opinion!) . . . Katie has now been pumping 8 1/2 glorious

Pumpmama to Katie