[IPp] MDI & Mood Swings

In a message dated 2/15/2002 7:11:09 PM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I'm curious about your daughters mood swings. <snip>
>  I am hoping the pump
>  will help smooth his emotions out. I have been told not
>  to expect any miracles but if it has helped other kids I
>  can still have a reason to hope!!

My daughter was always really easy going -- from when she was a baby until
about 9 months before diagnosis.  Then, it was like all the stories you hear
about teens -- only she was a 9 year old instead of 13 or 15.  Mood swings
like I couldn't believe -- From angry & mouthy to crying & miserable in the
blink of an eye.   Even after dx, we couldn't tie the swings to her BG levels
-- it was just as crazy-making for her as it was for me.

But, it was literally days after she started pumping that she said that (1)
"I'm NEVER going back to shots!" and (2) "I didn't know diabetes made me feel
so crappy until I didn't feel crappy any more!" . . . And I got my easy-going
daughter back.

So, along with better A1c's, fewer lows, and a more normal life, pumping was
also a "cure" for the mood swings that *I* attrribute to the daily BG swings
that were a part of the inevitable peaks and valleys of her BG levels that
came along with the NPH . . .

Pumpmama to Katie, happily pumping with her Animas pump "Elvis" since 6-1-01