Re: [IPp] kids with diabetes, coping and grieving process

Instead of a general social worker, would it be possible to find
someone who specializes in chronic illnesses in children?  Of course
children grieve as they come to understand more.  Andrea went through
a period of aggression and anger when she started kindergarten this
last fall.  She said she was angry that no one else had diabetes.  Her
solution - everyone should have diabetes.  We tried to talk about how
she felt, while addressing her negative behavior.  It took a month or
so, but she is coping much better now.  Our endo also gave us the
names of a social worker and a psychologist who have experience with
type 1 kids.  I plan to look into that for Andrea after the new year.
Good luck!
-Natalie

--
Mama to *Andrea 5.5, Alicia 3.5, Carlos 1.5,
and anxiously awaiting child #4 end of March 2005