[IPp] Re: pop-digest V1 #822

On Dec 16, 2004, at 7:20 PM, pop-digest wrote:

> From: Rachel A <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IPp] Congress Encourages Research on Chromium Picolinate and
> Diabetes
>
>  Does anyone know if Chromium use will be as effective in T1D as T2D?
> If not,
> why?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rachel
>

> http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?
> ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20041216005432&newsLang=en

Hi Rachel -

Chromium won't work for type 1.  Even the press release is fairly
careful to only talk about type II (though I think they do slip in a
few places and just say "diabetes").   What the press release says is
that chromium may make the body more sensitive to insulin.  If it
works, this would be helpful for a type II but it won't help a type 1
at all.  It can't bring back a dead pancreatic islet (the part of the
pancreas which makes insulin in a "normal" person, but which is not
working properly, or is dead, in a type 1).  And it can't substitute
for insulin.  There is nothing that substitutes for insulin as far as a
type 1 diabetic is concerned.  I'm not even aware of any research that
is even trying to find an insulin substitute.

Type 1 and type 2 diabetes cause a lot of confusion because they have a
lot of the same symptoms, complications, and treatments.  And
unfortunately they are often both called "diabetes".  But they are
caused by completely different problems in the body.  Type 1 diabetes
is a disease in which the pancreas isn't able to make enough insulin
(eventually, isn't able to make any).  Usually it is an autoimmune
disease (the body's immune system has killed off the part of the
pancreas that makes insulin).  But once a type 1 diabetic is given
insulin, their body is able to respond to the insulin basically as well
as a non-diabetic person would.

Type  2 diabetes, on the other hand, is a situation where the body is
able to make insulin, but can't respond to it as well as it should.
The goal therefore with a type 2 is to make their body more sensitive
to insulin (that is, to bring them back up to a normal level of insulin
sensitivity).   There are multiple options on how to do this - every
drug (other than insulin) that you've ever heard of for diabetes is for
type II only.  Sometimes type II's also do take insulin - one treatment
option is to just saturate their system so that at least SOME insulin
gets through.  Diet and exercise also help type II's come up to normal
insulin sensitivity.

There is a mall up the street from us and there is an herbal store that
routinely has a poster out showing sort of pill (perhaps it's chromium,
I don't know) and the poster just says "Diabetes - blood sugar
defense".  Every time I see it, I want to smash the window in front of
the poster; every time I wonder how many type 1's might try using these
pills instead of insulin, and how many would die as a result.

Maria
- mom to 3 yo Sigrid, dx'd @ 11 mos., pumping Cozmo since 17 mos.