[IPp] Advocacy - changing nurse practice in the schools

Natalie,

We live in Vernal, UT.  I had the same type of problem with the school
nurse when I started a 504 and wanted to cover the administration of
glucagon to my daughter, Amelia, who was in 3rd grade at the time.  She
had just changed schools so we had a different principal and I had not
done a 504 yet.  I ended up having a meeting with the superintendent (who
I had known for many years), the school principal (who was very
supportive), the nurse (who was fighting me all the way), and the
District representative on policy and procedure (who was worse than the
nurse).  What a nightmare it was.  To make a long story short, what we
ended up doing was bypassing the nurse.  The super decided that,
according to school policy, those in the school willing to be trained to
administer glucagon could be trained by the parent...that the nurse
needed to be kept out of it because of her licensing.  We don't have a
full time nurse in the school either. The school poliicy reads something
to this effect "those treating students in emergency situations and
acting in the childs best interest are not liable..." so this was a way
around the nurse.  It has worked well for us and it spread throughout the
District so glucagon is no longer an issue,  I am not sure if this would
work for insulin administration but it is definately a life saving type
of procedure.

I agree that Utah's schools are in need of some change.  Good luck to
you.

Cheri McCurdy, Mom to Amelia, age 11, D 1-2000 and P 12-2000